One of the most important factors in student achievement is high quality teaching. Yet teachers today report elevated levels of stress and anxiety that can interfere with their ability to form meaningful relationships with students and teach effectively.
Mindfulness is a valuable wellness and self-care tool for teachers, and has been demonstrated to reduce teacher stress and burnout.
Mindfulness helps teachers cultivate compassionate attention and an attuned presence in the classroom. Recent research indicates mindfulness training for teachers:
- makes classroom transitions easier
- provides more time for teachers to teach lessons
- promotes healthy relationships between teachers and students
- results in greater classroom organization
- reduces attentional biases
- promotes the use of more effective teaching practices
“Mindfulness training can enhance teachers’ sense of well-being. It can also provide a buffer against the stress that arises from the demands and challenges of the classroom environment.”
Lisa Flook, University of Wisconsin-Madison
Professional Development Session: Mindfulness and Stress Reduction for Educators
Teaching is a stressful job! This one-time session teaches educators strategies for managing stress and achieving a sense of balance and calm. This course is geared specifically to the needs of teachers and administrators.
- one 2-hour session
- introduction to mindfulness and detailed instructions on establishing a personal mindfulness practice
- includes guided practice with a variety of mindfulness techniques, including mindful breathing, mindful movement, and mindful eating
- teachers will explore how mindfulness impacts their presence in the classroom and their relationships with students
Professional Development Course: Mindfulness ~ For You and Your Students
This is a brilliant, powerful course in which participants develop a mindfulness practice, reflect on their work as educators, and learn skills for mindful communication and building relationships with students.
- six two-hour sessions over 6-8 weeks
- in-depth course for teachers wishing to begin or deepen a personal mindfulness practice
- each session includes guided personal practice and reflection
- exploration of teaching as a mindfulness practice and how mindfulness can inform and enhance our work in the classroom
- additional topics include the neuroscience of mindfulness, mindful communication, mindful teaching, and teaching mindfulness to students
- all participants receive a copy of The Way of Mindful Education, which includes complete lessons for teaching mindfulness in the classroom
“Mindfulness: For You and Your Students is a powerful professional development experience. The practice has allowed me to more fully attend to the present moment, to stop chasing unproductive thoughts, and to exercise a greater degree of compassion towards myself. I’m a better teacher as a result. Just ask my students!”
~ high school social studies teacher
Customized Professional Development
Contact us for information regarding options for customized professional development for your building or district.
Year-long cohorts and training modules are also available.
“I really got a lot from Sarah sharing her experiences and wisdom. I love, love, loved the class!” ~ high school math teacher
“I’ve become more understanding of others, and I’ve been better at communicating with my colleagues.” ~ high school English teacher
“I am truly listening to my students. I am much more aware of the wait time each student needs and I find myself really listening to the questions my students are asking.” ~ high school math teacher
“I am more aware of my thoughts and being in the moment. I can tell my heart isn’t racing as frequently or intensely.” ~ 4th-grade teacher
“It is amazing how much more efficiently my brain works when I am not spending my precious brain energy in the past or future!” ~ high school art teacher
Want to learn more? Brilliant! Contact us here.