8-week, 16-week, and full-year options for K-12 classrooms and preschools
Mindfulness teaches students strategies for developing emotional awareness, attentional stability, self-control, empathy, and stress-management.
Mindfulness supports the social-emotional components of a high quality education, and promotes essential skills for academic achievement. A growing body of research in ne
uroscience and psychology has shown many benefits of mindfulness, including:
- better focus and concentration
- increased sense of calm
- decreased stress and anxiety
- improved impulse control
- increased self-awareness
- skillful responses to difficult emotions
- improvement in executive function
- increased empathy and understanding of others
- development of natural conflict resolution skills
Brilliant Mindfulness Student Programs
Mindful Kids and Mindful Teens
The Mindful Kids and Mindful Teens programs are based on the Mindful Schools (R) curriculum.
Each lesson teaches students about one aspect of mindfulness, and includes practice time and discussion.
Each program includes:
- 16 lessons over 8 weeks (twice weekly) or 16 weeks (once weekly). Each lesson is approximately 15-20 minutes.
- three training sessions for teachers (each approximately 30 minutes long — one at the beginning of the program, one in the middle, and one follow-up session after program completion.)
- workbooks with mindfulness activities for each student (K-5 grades only)
- a mindfulness manual for the classroom teacher
- a bell for each classroom to continue mindfulness practice after the program ends
- mindfulness manuals for parents
- one parent meeting (held in the evening) to introduce parents to mindfulness and the Mindful Kids or Mindful Teens program, and to provide ways for families to practice mindfulness together
The Mindful Kids and Mindful Teens programs include the following lessons:
- Mindful listening and communication
- Mindful breathing
- Body awareness
- Mindfulness of thoughts
- Mindfulness of emotions/emotional awareness
- Kindness and caring on the playground (and/or in the halls)
- Mindful movement and mindful walking
- Mindful test-taking
- Skills for dealing with anxiety
- How the brain works
Customized programs are also available to suit the needs of your students, staff, and building.
The Mindful Student
The Mindful Student is an innovative program that combines mindfulness practice and study skills instruction for students in grades 9-12. This course is designed for students of all ability levels. It is especially helpful for students transitioning to high school or beginning to take advanced courses. It is also beneficial for students who experience school-related stress and test anxiety.
The Mindful Student includes guided instruction and practice on the following:
- Study skills and strategies based on the latest research in learning and cognition — topics include:
- Managing your time (and how to stop procrastinating)
- Studying efficiently (working smarter, not harder)
- Reading challenging texts
- Preparing for, and taking, tests
- Making study groups effective
- Mindfulness practices to develop greater concentration and focus, and healthy habits of mind — topics include:
- Mindful breathing and mindful awareness strategies
- Managing stress and anxiety
- Finding balance
- Dealing with test anxiety
- Developing a growth mindset
Schools or districts interested in offering this course to their students can contact us here.