To be successful academically, students need to know how to focus their attention and manage their stress — but many teens haven’t learned these important life skills. As a high school teacher for 17 years, I often worked with students who had great academic talents, but struggled with study skills, experienced school-related anxiety, or had difficulty concentrating.
The Mindful Student is an innovative one-on-one tutoring program that combines mindfulness practice and study skills instruction for students in grades 9-12. It is especially helpful for students transitioning to high school or beginning to take advanced courses. It is also beneficial for students who experience school-related stress and test anxiety.
Over the course of several weeks of private lessons, students will learn:
- Study skills and strategies based on the latest research in learning and cognition — topics include:
- Managing time (and how to stop procrastinating)
- Studying efficiently (working smarter, not harder)
- Reading challenging texts
- Preparing for, and taking, tests
- Making study groups effective
- Mindfulness practices to develop greater concentration and focus, and healthy habits of mind — topics include:
- Mindful breathing and mindful awareness strategies
- Managing stress and anxiety
- Finding balance
- Dealing with test anxiety
- Developing a growth mindset
I am available for private, in-person tutoring/mindfulness instruction in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area.